Hey ladies (and guys)! Get yourself summer with laser hair removal from Skin NV! Unwanted body hair can be a real turn off and a major pain. While shaving, waxing, and tweezing are great temporary solutions for hair removal, it takes time and effort to maintain – both of which could be spent elsewhere. Learn more about our laser hair removal services!
How Laser Hair Removal Works
Laser hair removal uses light energy to penetrate the hair shaft to kill the hair at its root. While it doesn’t kill the follicles, it will be difficult for another hair to grow in the area where laser hair removal treatment has been applied. You can apply laser hair removal anywhere on the body, EXCEPT for inside of the ear and the nose. Now while anything involving laser beams sounds scary, the process is quite simple and painless.
Step 1: Meet with a Skin NV laser hair removal specialist to determine your customized treatment plan. Note that multiple treatments are often necessary to achieve your desire results. The number of treatments will be based on the following factors:
- Treatment area
- Hair thickness
- Your hair’s growth cycle
- Current medications
Step 2: At the beginning of treatment, we will provide protective eyewear and apply a numbing cream to the treatment area.
Step 3: A short laser beam is shot at the root of the unwanted hair follicle. The laser pulses for a millisecond emitting a beam of light onto the skin. This light energy passes harmlessly through the skin and is absorbed by the pigment in the hair follicle and hair shaft. The laser works by disabling hair in the active growth stage at the time of treatment. *At Skin NV, we use the Vectus Cynosure Diode Laser which provides high-volume permanent hair reduction for a wide range of skin and hair types.
Step 4: As noted above, additional treatments will be necessary to disable all the hair follicles in the treated area. Treatments are usually given at four to six-week intervals, as this is the natural growth cycle for hair.
What to Know Before & After Treatment
- At least four weeks prior to starting treatment (and throughout the entire course of your treatment), DO NOT wax, tweeze, color use depilatory creams or have electrolysis on the treatment area. Shaving and clipping is permitted.
- Do not use harsh exfoliating cleansers or scrubs, bleaching creams, or retinoids (Retin-A) on the treatment area three days before or three days after treatment.
- Avoid direct prolonged sun exposure two weeks before and two weeks after treatment on the treatment area.
- When going outside, apply a sunscreen of 30 SPF or higher every two hours to the treatment area. This will prevent post-procedure side effects which can occur from sun exposure.
- The hairs that are eliminated from the treatment area will gradually work themselves out, typically a three to four-week process.
- Do not scratch or pick at the treatment area.
- If you experience in-grown hairs, use a gentle exfoliator in between treatments.
- At your initial consultation and throughout your course of treatment, please notify the medical staff of all medications that you are taking.
- Please notify your Skin NV laser hair removal specialist if you have a history of cold sores around the treatment area.
- If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or are on oral antibiotics, treatments will be prohibited.
Interested in laser hair removal in Tampa? Call our South Tampa med spa today at (813) 839-4141 for a FREE consultation!