Fillers are a type of injectable wrinkle treatment that work by temporarily plumping up the skin to fill fine lines and creases to the mid-facial area and thinning lips. Although fillers are generally a quick and easy procedure, swelling and bruising are two of the most common side effects. Fortunately, there are several things you can do both before and after treatment to help prevent swelling and bruising. See below…
- The following medications and/or supplements can cause blood to thin, making bruising much more likely. Discontinue taking these seven days prior to your treatment. *Helpful hint: Tylenol is okay to take before and after treatment.
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Aleve, Advil, B.C powder)
- Vitamin E
- Flaxseed oil
- Omega 3 fatty acids or fish oil, Krill oil
- Ginkgo Bilboa
- John’s Wort
- Turmeric- Curcumin, COQ-10
- Alcohol, especially red wine, can decrease platelet function which can make you more likely to bruise. Avoid drinking alcohol at least 24 hours prior to treatment and the night of your treatment.
- Arnica Montana has been shown to help speed the healing process, as well as reduce inflammation and constrict blood vessels for reduced bruising and swelling. Take Arnica a day or two beforehand to help minimize side effects. Bromelain (a natural enzyme found in pineapple) is also helpful in reducing swelling after the procedure and may be taken three days prior to treatment.
- Certain foods can prevent bruising such as foods rich in vitamin K (kale, spinach) and pineapple. Eat these items two to three times a day one to two days prior to treatment.
*It is important to note that it can take anywhere from 7 to 14 days for the results of the cosmetic treatment to settle in and for swelling and bruising to resolve.
- Avoid alcohol for the next 24 hours after treatment as it vasodilates and may increase bruising.
- Avoid vigorous exercise for 24 to 48 hours after the procedure and keep your heart rate under 100. Do not do any inversions in yoga and avoid hot yoga all together.
- Avoid excessive sun or heat until any initial swelling and redness has resolved.
- Do not massage the treated areas after treatment.
- Continue to avoid aspirin, Excedrin, ibuprofen, Aleve, and Advil or at least two days after treatment. Again, Tylenol is fine.
- If you have swelling, apply a cold compress to the treatment area for five to ten minutes every hour.
Are you interested in filler treatments? At Skin NV in South Tampa, our team of experienced professionals can help! For more information about dermal fillers, Dysport, Xeomin, or our products and services, please call us at 813.839.4141 to schedule a free consultation.