Facial masks such as N95 and others are important in preventing the spread of Covid-19 and are yet another new “normal” in our everyday lives. While they are great for protecting ourselves and the other people around us, they can wreak havoc on our skin! This is especially the case for healthcare workers and others on the front line who are wearing masks all day long, several days a week. Here we explain how you can treat and prevent this specific type of skin irritation.
What causes skin irritation from facial masks?
When you wear a mask – especially for long periods of time – the humidity and physical friction can cause seborrheic dermatitis, acne, and rosacea.
How can I treat my irritated skin?
Fortunately, there are several ways to treat the redness and irritation caused by wearing masks. We recommend the following:
- Apply OTC cortisone creams that can be found at your local drug store.
- Apply moisturizing creams. Our choice is MD Solar Science moisturizing cream/sunscreen – a great option for those who suffer from rosacea.
- Immediately after you take off your mask, clean your skin! We recommend using medical grade products such as our Gloss Anti-Redness Cleanser and Gloss Clarifying Cleanser. Make sure to moisturize immediately after.
- If you are experiencing breakouts, add salicylic acid to your daily routine. This will clean pores, as well as reduce excessive oils and sebum. Ask about our Gloss Acne line which specifically targets acne!
- For bruising, apply Arnica gel – another OTC product that can be found online or at your local drug store.
Can I prevent skin irritation from occurring?
Yes! You can prevent facial mask irritation from occurring or at least minimize its effects. Here are just a few ways how:
- Lubricate the skin with barrier creams that include silicone ingredients. This will also help ease tension and friction caused by wearing masks.
- When using a fabric mask, wash it daily to remove makeup, sweat, and bacteria.
- Even if your skin is not irritated, apply OTC hydrocortisone cream to prevent breakouts.
From all of us at Skin NV, we want to thank all the healthcare workers and others who are on the front lines of the Covid-19 pandemic! If you are interested in purchasing any of our medical grade products that can be shipped directly to your home, please contact us today at (813) 839-4141.